Principal benefit of Monocrystal Synthetic Mica (Fluor-phlogopite Crystal)
IKK has been continued research and development on Synthetic Mica towards commercialization of the technology. At present*, IKK is the only company in Japan that has fabrication sector for the product, and the product has earned a high reputation in the marketplace.
*: as of March 2014
- flat and smooth crystalline plane
- very few impurities / nearly clear and colorless compared to natural mica
- extremely high heat resistance (of 1100°C), being far superior to that of heat-resistant glass
- highly resistant to high temperature and high pressure steam
- excellent in erosion resistance
- filmic and sheet-like
- resistant to practically any acid or alkali
- size of generable single crystal: 70 x 70 x 7 mm
- specific gravity: 2.85
- melting point: 1375°C
Note: On display at Nagoya University Museum
Specifications of Monocrystal Synthetic Mica (Fluor-phlogopite Crystal)
|Synthetic Mica (Fluor-phlogopite Crystal)||Natural Mica (Muscovite)||Natural Mica (Phlogopite)|
|Maximum Working Temperature||1100||(℃)||550||(℃)||800||(℃)|
|Thermal Conductivity||4.30||(J/m.s.K): (cleavage planes direction)||3.6||(J/m.s.K)||-||-|
|0.67||(J/m.s.K): (vertical direction)||-||-||-||-|
|Specific Heat(cp )||1.62||(J/㎤K)||1.63||(J/㎤K)||-||-|
|Ultimate Tensile Strength||27〜31||(kg/㎟)||35〜39||(kg/㎟)||20〜28||(kg/㎟)|
|3-point Bending Strength
(At Room Temperature)
|Thermal Shock Bending Strength(200℃)||29.8||MPa||105.3||MPa|
|Measuring Frequency||Dielectric Constant||Dielectric Loss|
Applications of Monocrystal Synthetic Mica (Fluor-phlogopite Crystal)
- Observation window material for high temperature / high pressure boilers
- Observation window material for radiation (X-ray) equipment
- Substrate for single crystal growth
- Various optical components
- For other materials to be permeable at high temperature environment
Additional Information about Monocrystal Synthetic Mica (Fluor-phlogopite Crystal)
Image by Laser Microscope
Measuring surface roughness of cleavage plane of single crystal Synthetic Mica by laser microscope.
Confirmed flat and smooth plane practically equivalent to quartz glass substrate.
Arithmetical mean of roughness Ra = 3 nanometers
Crystal Structure of Synthetic Mica
- Chemical Formula KMg₃AlSi₃O₁₀F₂ (Fluor-phlogopite Crystal)
- SiO₄ regular tetrahedrons are connected sheet-like and an Mg ion combines two SiO sheets to form a layer. Because these layers are loosely connected by K ions, layers can be cleaved easily and as a result, smoothly-surfaced crystals are generated.
Transmittance of UV-visible and NIR
Measuring equipment: Spectrophotometer Hitachi U-4000
- Transmittance of Synthetic Mica is higher than that of Natural Mica in UV-visible range.
- In NIR range, too, Synthetic Mica shows slightly higher transmittance than Natural Mica.
- Absorption peaks are observed at 1400nm and 2200nm with Natural Mica, while no such absorption is seen with Synthetic Mica.
Transmission rate of infrared ray
Measuring equipment: FT-IR (Fourier transform infrared spectrophotometric) JEOL Ltd. JIR-650
- Data at around 4µm is wavy due to interference
- Synthetic Mica is higher in transmittance at entire wavelength region if compared with samples of same thickness
- An absorption peak is observed at around 2.7µm with Natural Mica only. This is considered to be a coherence which exists only with Natural Mica, because no such absorption is seen with Synthetic Mica.
- It is presumed to be a coherence of OH-radicals.
ITOH KIKOH CO., LTD. Technology Division
ADDRESS: Nu-no-wari 412-4, Minamishibata-machi, Tokai, Aichi 476-0001, Japan
TEL: +81 52 604-7942
8am to 5pm JST on weekdays; except national and corporate holidays
FAX: +81 52 604-8825
This form is A-Form Bamboo for Movabletype Trial version